Brown Harris Stevens | Established 1837


Gerritsen Beach

Located on a secluded peninsula, Gerritsen Beach is a private beachfront boating and fishing enclave bounded by Avenue U on the north, Gerritsen Avenue to the east, Plumb Beach Channel and Knapp Street on the West. Bisected from east to west by the Gotham Avenue Canal, the area north of the canal is consider the "newer section" and south of the canal as the "old section."

Named by Dutch settler Wolphert Gerretse who built a glorious house and mill in the 17th century on Gerritsen Creek (now part of the Marine Park neighborhood), the mill was owned by the Whitney family, who lived in a nearby mansion, replete with horse stables, a private racetrack and a carriage house. Now a private home, the carriage house still stands today.

A community that remained undeveloped for a very long time, construction began in the 1920s to create a middle-class summer resort with bungalows lining the edge of Gerritson Beach.

The Gerritsen Ballfields host three baseball fields, two fields for soccer and football and one for Little League players. It also has a "mini" airport for motorized model airplanes.

Housing Stock: Brick houses, attached houses, old bungalows and newer low-rise condos.

Sorry, there doesn't appear to be any local listings in this area for theatres.

Return to List of Neighborhoods